Ee Pup

The Puppy Program

Did you know that the Department of Defense operates a military working dog breeding program?

aka The Puppy Program

Puppy Kkrusty

Puppy Kkrusty

The Department of Defense Military Working Dog Breeding Program was established in 1998. The Breeding Program (informally and affectionately referred to as the Puppy Program) provides an internal source of military working dogs to supplement the needs of the DoD. As adults, these puppies will be utilized for the detection of explosives and illegal contraband, specialized searching (land-mine clearing and locating weapons in war zones), Search and Rescue needs, and troop/asset patrol protection.
MWD Lexy & her Vv pups

MWD Lexy & her Vv pups

They will serve in all branches of our military. Some of the dogs not meeting the DoD requirements have gone on to work for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and law enforcement agencies throughout our country, serving and protecting our citizens and communities.
Vveesart & Vvini Vv3 liter

Vveesart & Vvini Vv3 liter

The Breeding Program selects and breeds quality working-line Belgian Malinois. Solid temperament, working ability and medical soundness are just some of the standards used to select the sires and dams for the Program.
AA4 litter Round table

AA4 litter Round table

From birth to eight weeks our pups are reared at the Military Working Dog Center on Lackland AFB, TX in our state of the art whelping facility. While there is no guarantee that any pup of this age will develop into an adult working dog, our Puppy Development Specialists begin working with the pups from birth, imprinting and exposing the pups to a variety of stimulations and activities that will prepare them for the next phase of their life

Note: This information and photos are being published with permission from Bernie at the Department of Defense Breeding Program. This is Part I of the Puppy Program Feature.

In case you missed or want to revisit a prior week’s military dog picture of the week. Here are the most recent links.

Search and Rescue Dogs

More Marine Black Labs & Preparing for a WIA K9!

Marines and their Black Labs Post

Military Dog Picture of the Week: Troops & Their Puppies!

28 thoughts on “The Puppy Program

1. SallyLowen

So this is what our retired MWD looked like! Love these dogs. Congratulations on your upcoming promotion. Happy holidays to all.

1. christina juarez

Kevin, the pic of those 2 prescious puppies the newborns really made my heart melt, I will b sending u the bill for the heart transplant I now need cuz ur photos r just too much for my heart to handle!

2. Pingback: Military Dog Photo of the Week: PUPPIES! « Off The Base

3. Barbara Longley

Oh, I know this is a serious business, and it’s an important program, but they’re so dang cute!! Just makes me want to go out and get another puppy. But I won’t. I have enough dog & cat hair to contend with at present. Great article, Kevin. Thanks.

4. Jeannine Riley

This is indeed a wonderful program and it’s hard to not get distracted by all the cuteness. Like Barb, I long for another puppy but I have 2-120+ pound “puppies” at home. And to Kevin: congratulations on your promotion – you & your family must be very proud!

Wow Jeanine…one of your dogs weights more than both of mine!

Thank you. Hopefully I will pin in the next few months.

There is just something about them…..sort of like a baby! We don’t have pups at the house but we do have a baby!

5. Julia Hugo Rachel

My Heart has been officially “Stolen” by this article! What grand dogs, with such important futures. This is a special rare glimpse into these dogs beginnings. We are blessed to see the pups. Truly a Treasure of insight. Thank You Kevin!

What state do you live Karen? They are always looking to place dogs (temporarily) in the San Antonio area.

Hi Barbara! Thank you very much. I’ve been wanting to share details of this program for a while now! More to follow! :-)

7. K Regan

For me it is so sad that they are actually breeding when so many animals are abused and neglected in our world and there aren’t enough homes to go around as it is. So many are put down every year. I understand that some are used for service but the military won’t even pay to fly the dogs home at the end of their service. :(

Do you really believe an average run of the mill abused and neglected pound puppy would make a good military working dog? Sorry but if that was the case the local police departments would be raiding the shelters all the time for police dogs.

The military would pay if the government would allow us….but federal law prevents this. Though the Canine Members of the Armed Service Act recently passed by Congress will reverse this law. The military doesn’t make the rules….we just abide by them.

Please don’t forget…….the military working dog program is full of dog lovers. We care as much about our working dogs as you do your family dog. :-)

8. Lynda Lawson

Question, do you mean even after these dogs are trained, and serve, they don’t get to leave and fly back to the US afterwards? :-(…I was hoping I could adopt a retiree to replace my Shepherd, I took her in @ 4 weeks old, she was abandoned at 4 weeks.. She finally died at 16. Miss her more then I can say. What if people donated to the dogs to get them home after service, to adopt? What you do is amazing, I had no idea.
    Lynda

They are named at birth Karen. Puppy program dog shave a double letter at the beginning on their name…. Llars, Llisa, Llilly, etc

Hi Lynda. All dogs that are stationed stateside return. Dogs that are stationed say in Germany are not returned. They are adopted out in Germany and it is then the responsibility of the adoptee to bring them back to the states.

(Sorry for the late response…just saw your comment)

10. Carole Remy

Big Awwwww…

Working in animal rescue, it’s wonderful for me to see beautiful puppies being trained purposefully. Dogs love to work, and it’s hard for ordinary owners to provide that structure. Thanks for a giving me a smile with my coffee,

Carole