3 Military Working Dogs in an ATV

Top Military Dog Pictures of the Year

So this week is my anniversary on one year since I launched this www.khanrahan.com. It has been a crazy year and I’ve learned a ton.

untitledI’ve also had the opportunity to connect with some fabulous people- thank you.

On Thursday (the actually one anniversary) there will some new designs to the site. The sliders on the entry page to the site will be new and will rotate adding a fresh new look to the site.

U.S. Air Force Military Working Dog Suk waits to begin a day of training and patroling at Cannon Air Force Base, N.M., Aug. 15, 2012. Military Working Dogs are commonly used for detecting narcotics, explosives and other harmful materials.My goal is to make the dog team stories easier to find and navigate. So you can read one story from start to finish (or were we are in the story).

Marine kissing dogI’ll also add other storylines such as my journey from the idea of writing a book to becoming an agented author. (Hopefully this year I will become an author with a publishing contract)

Pic of Soldiers and their dogs crossing an irrigation ditchTo celebrate I’m posting some of your favorite pictures of the year. To include everyone’s favorite A-team at the top of this post!

Laying down

February is going to be a great month with a Marc, Anax and Dark- will Marc and Dark be successful during their second certification?

I also have the child of war, Danica’s journey from Bosnia-Herzegovina to Afghanistan where she pairs with a viscous and “untrainable” working dog!

U.S. Marine Lance Cpl. Brandon Mann, a dog handler with Alpha Company, 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, and native of Arlington, Texas, sights in with his infantry automatic rifle while providing security with Ty, an improvised explosive device detection dog, during a patrol here, Feb. 16. Marines and sailors with 1st LAR and India Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, conducted clearing and disrupting operations in and around the villages of Sre Kala and Paygel during Operation Highland Thunder. Marines with 1st LAR led the operation on foot, sweeping for enemy weapons and drug caches through 324 square kilometers of rough, previously unoccupied desert and marshland terrain. Mobile units with1st LAR set up blocking positions and vehicle check points while India Company, 3/3 conducted helicopter inserts to disrupt insurgent freedom of movement.

On Thursday I have a fun post to celebrate the one year anniversary of the launch of www.khanrahan.com so stay tuned. Thanks for all your support and words of encouragement!

43 thoughts on “Top Military Dog Pictures of the Year

1. Gloria Richard

Good morning, Kevin!

I love this photo-essay on Top Military Dog Pictures of the Year.

Everyone of them made me smile, or feel grateful for their service and that of the men and women who serve with them.

I would LOVE to use the first picture in my blog that went up this morning, with some link-back credit to you. (And, of course, promotion of your site and upcoming book.) PLEASE feel free to say “NO.” The tone of my blog is snarky and, today, it addresses a wordplay game called THE TURTLE CLUB.

I would use the picture beside a warning to my readers to STAY AWAY FROM GOOGLE to discourage them from solving The Turtle Club riddles via internet.

You may not want these fine animals associated with that sort of humor. I understand. I’ll DM on Twitter. The picture I’d like to use is the first one — the dogs in the military vehicle (please educate me on what that’s called, so I can use the proper terminology).

Thanks!

Hi Gloria. Thank you. I was thinking about a theme for this week’s pictures (Of course I don’t always use a theme) and it just came to me in a rare moment of quiet in our home……. I had just gotten the baby down for a nap!

Ha!

Sure you can use the picture and I appreciate the shout out.

I never forget that these fierce warriors are also just knucklehead dogs. They misbehave and cause mischief just like our dogs at home. Some are outright clowns themselves.

That vehicle is just an ATV. My educated guess is that this is an ATV used by a special forces unit.

2. Pingback: THE SPATCHCOCK WONKIPEDIA…Google Expressly Prohibited « Gloria Richard

3. Sheila Soto

Kevin, Thank you for all the beautiful pics. They really touched my heart. They made me so inspired Just to get to hug them would be a thrill. Always wanted a vehicle with three bodyguards.
    I hope it was ok to share them with a lot of K-9 animals & trainers. Well Col. U outdid yourself even more. Congrats on outstanding pics

Hi Sheila…great hearing from you as usual!

Those body gaurds are very expensive. They demand bones and endless belly rubs!

Most stay after the troops leave. There are a few organization that help the troops pay to bring them home though.

4. Henry Orgel

Mr. Hanrahan; Your website went to the very heart and soul of what the relationship between dogs and human beings is; the love, the loyalty, the understanding which is on levels not always comprehended by many of those who donot have such a bond with dogs. I’m especially intrigued by the German Shepherds as well a the Labs. I’ve had two German Shepherds. It was an experience with each of them which cannot be put into words. There is a saying written by an unknown writer which states: “Those of you who donot think that dogs have souls have never looked into the eyes of a German Shepherd.” I look forward to more.

Hi Henry, thank you very much. Please call me Kevin. My work is full of formalities and protocol…..this is just the opposite! :-)

I can understand the bond you have with your Sheps. I have two Vizslas and I am not quite sure where I would be without them.

Dogs have a special way of breaking down barriers and reaching our should. I’m so glad you feel the same way!

1. Henry Orgel

Kevin; Thanks for your reply. I believe your dogs are a Hungarian breed – yes ? I met a few people who have them; puppies in the park. Having had the pleasure in petting and playing with them. They seem to be quite a breed. If I was a ‘hound’ kind of person, they would probably be my first choice. One of our dogs, who is a resuce, is half Black & Tan Coon Hound. The other half is a German Shepherd-Doberman Pinscher mix. You can see all three breeds in her. The ears are definately hound. She bays like a hound and barks like Doberman/Shepherd. Please accept my late congradulations on your websites first successful year and wish you an even more successful second year.

Hi Henry. Vizslas are hungarian…they are great bird dogs but I don’t hunt.

I wanted a super smart, active dog with short hair that is good with kids. I sure found it!

A Coon Hound? Reminds me of Where the Red Fern Grows. I love that book!

5. Eric Barnes

This is an awesome blog. I really like how you capture these loyal animals and their relationships with the solders. I am glad they are being recognized. Thanks.

6. Mark Shortreed

What a heartwarming essay and photos!

If you happen to notice an avalanche of visitors it’s probably because Kate at SDA linked you.

Hi Mark. Thanks a bunch. I just left a message on SDA thanking Kate. 250 page hits within minutes.

Great to have my Canadian friends on the site! I have a great dog team series on a Bosnian Herzegovina women who attaches to a Canadian Army unit in Afghanistan.

See….I’ve thought of you guys up north as well!

7. Cindy Swabsin

Kevin – thank you, these photos made my day. Thank you for posting such wonderful articles about the amazing MWD’s and their soldiers. I am happy you are recognizing the work they do and letting others know how valuable they are. Because of you, I am putting together a large care package for Operation Kennel Mom, with an assortment of toys, leashes, cleansers for our four legged heroes and some items for their fabulous human handlers.

Hi Cindy. I’m so glad you enjoyed the photos! It is truly an honor to highlight what our fabulous dog teams are doing for this country!

Thanks so much for supporting the teams……. OKM is a terrific organization! :-)

8. Ali Curry

Love the pictures and the stories. Sometimes our canine friends can reach us and touch our hearts in ways humans cannot. @AliCurry1

9. Deedee

Kevin, the furry kids on your site always make me smile and cry at the same time. Call it a problem attributable to being female. Your efforts and passion for honoring these never-tiring soldiers and their dedicated handlers is commendable. None of us will ever be able to repay our debt to them because without them, I could not write this “thank you”. May God continue to bless each and every service man, service woman and service animal until each makes it home safely. By the way, I am a little partial to the #3 picture, it has to,be those beautiful brown eyes.

10. LoyaltyOfDogs

Thank you for sharing the stories and photos of these remarkable dogs and the soldiers whom they protect. The soldiers’ and dogs’ devotion to one another is awe-inspiring.

11. FauxRealityEntertainment

I started following you today on twitter. Your work, together with compilation of photos is moving and inspirational. I look forward to spreading the word that everyone needs to read this.

12. Doug Olson

Great job on the blog and happy anniversary.
    Regarding pic 1, like humans, you can tell which of the three dogs is the troublemaker, which is a goofball and which won’t put up with s—. I have been around dogs all of my life and you are right, they each have their own personalities.
    Is it possible to adopt a retired MWD? They, like our human veterans need all of the care and love they can get.

Thanks Doug! I know right….dogs have such personalities, even my two knucklehead civilian dogs are so different. It is possible to adopt a military dog. If you scroll down to the bottom right of my website I have a bunch of info on the process.

13. Pingback: URL

14. Julie

Hiya Kevin, thanks for all the post, blogs, tweets & photos, I love reading them even though I sometimes end up in tears! I was wondering if you mind if I use the first photo of the gsd as here in the UK we are running a campaign to try and stop the government from making drastic cuts to our police dog units! We know what a huge role they play & need as many people as possible to see this.
    Also on a different note thanks for the vizsla love &the pictures shared they always make me smile x

Sure Julie….but I’m not quite sure who owns the photo and have incurred some risk by placing it on my site. But I just couldn’t resist.

I’m amazed they want to cut police dogs……especially since the overheard just isn’t there once you have a trained dog.

Do you have Vizslas?

1. Julie

Hi yes I do, we’ve exchanged photos via twitter, my girl is nearly 5 now & I have to say an amazing dog, very different to the German shepherds who I love equally, even when it’s time to say goodbye as they move on to the next stage of their working life! I will see if it’s ok to use the photo even if its on the don’t ditch the dogs fb campaign they will love it! Thanks Kevin