PPirro

Military Dogs – For Loan!

Back in November I posted a terrific piece, The Puppy Program, about the Department of Defense (DoD) Breeding Program located at Lackland Airbase.

I promised you a second part, so today ladies and gentlemen here it is!

Since I was delayed getting this next piece out,  I’m going share a special something with you all. I am going to share with you how you can become an active contributor to the Breeding Progam.

Yes, you can help raise these future 4 legged heroes.

Puppy MMyrna

Puppy MMyrna

Eight weeks after the birth the puppies, they  go home with qualified and dedicated ‘foster’ volunteers from the greater San Antonio/Austin area. During the ‘foster’ period, the pups are raised in secure, nurturing homes that provide learning and play opportunities, as well as outings for the puppies to be exposed to different environments and people to develop a socially sound puppy. At seven months of age the puppy is returned to Lackland Air Force Base (AFB) to begin the next stage of its life – Puppy Training.

This training will ultimately determine if the puppy possesses the attributes to make a working dog, and if so, will prepare the pup to enter the next phase of its training at the Dog Training School. The Dog Training School is the ‘basic training’ course for most Military Working Dogs. All supplies, food, medicine, and veterinary care needed for the puppies are provided by DoD? What is DoD?.

The Breeding Program is always looking for interested persons to open their homes to foster a future Military Working Dog. If you think you have what it takes and would like to be a part of raising a future four-legged troop the Foster Consultants at Lackland AFB would love to hear from you! This great organization can be reached at telephone number : 210-671-3686 or through email: 341TRSPP@us.af.mil

Puppy OOlaf

Puppy OOlaf

Requirements necessary for participating as a foster volunteer: you must live within a two-hour driving distance of Lackland AFB, TX, have a fenced yard and no more than three personal dogs. **While these are just some of the requirements, they are not all-inclusive.

Please contact the Foster Consultants at 210-671-3686 or 341TRSPP@us.af.mil to obtain more information.

So folks, if you live in the San Antonio area and want to foster a future furry hero? Please call today! I wish I lived in that area!

The DoD Military Working Dog Breeding Program has it’s very own Facebook Page. So if you love to look at these adorable future heroes, head on over to their page and like it!

Oomaha at 20 weeks.

OOmaha at 20 weeks.

Note: This information and photos are being published with permission from Bernie at the Department of Defense Breeding Program. This is Part I of the Puppy Program Feature.

37 thoughts on “Military Dogs – For Loan!

1. Jeannine Riley

Bless those folks – they are stronger than I could ever hope to be. I’d be a blithering mess after returning one of those beautiful pups after fostering!

I was thinking the same thing Jeanine….you develop such a bond with puppies.

2. Carole Remy

Thanks for a great article and photos, Kevin.

I grew up in Austin, so I’ll share this post on my Facebook page and see if anyone is interested in fostering, or knows someone who might be,

Malinois are a handful! We work with a couple of young Malinois in agility, and they are super intelligent and super strong. Not for a laissez faire foster! Good thing they are also gorgeous and affectionate!

Thanks again for sharing the info. The pups are precious!

Carole

Hi Carole! Thanks for your help, from what I gather the program is always on the lookout for a helping hand. I just think it would be so cool to have one of these pups for a spell. There is no doubt that it would be a lot of work but just the fact that you are contributing in such an important way is amazing!

I know some Mals, have never had one, but have heard the same thing……they are a handful! But don’t we always love the problem child with character?

They’re so cute! I’m glad that people have the wherewithal to let them go at the end of the fostering period. I’m not sure I could. It’s a wonderful thing that they teach them to be loved first, before seeing if they’re willing/able to work. That matters a great deal.

How’s the job? Are you settled in? Or are you still trying to figure out where the bathroom is and why your desk drawer keeps ringing? Sometimes these things take time. Oi vey. I’ve got two weeks until Bee graduates. Take my advice and keep that angel baby boy young as long as you can. Some kind of time stopper would work for a while. Just a few years. Give him kisses, and hugs to Meg. And give Honza pets and loves since you see him now.

Hi Jani…..you are so right, these dogs must have a purpose first…..they misunderstand what love is…so they can love the one who is eventually paired with them….. both their lives will depend upon it.

The new job isn’t stressful, but it is. I guess I put pressure on myself…..I know my briefing to my bosses’ boss went well today but I also know exactly where it could have gone better.

I’ve got a laydown of the facilities, people and the general mission. Now it is time to make my assessment and also learn about the job. My eyes are rolling with the material I am reading…..overload!

Two weeks? What is she doing over the summer? What do kids do these days? Mine is happy I put a swing up in the front yard (pictures to follow!)

Vote Honza Bear http://www.herodogawards.org/contestants?nominee=17979427

I saw him last week…this weekend he was busy keeping the LPGA event in Williamsburg, Va safe for all. Honza is loved by the ladies!

Voted three times for a beautiful boy. The LPGA tournament? I bet that was one happy dog. All those women adoring him. And he deserves it completely.

I’m glad you’re getting going with your new job. And pushing yourself isn’t the same as pressuring yourself. One is good. The other isn’t. If it went well today, then be happy with that. It could always have gone better. But it could have gone much worse, too.

I bet Brady loves his swing set! Go Dad! When he gets a bit older, wherever you’re living then, put in an in-ground trampoline. Best toy ever. Just make sure that only one person jumps on it at a time. Yours will be the cool house on the block.

She’s not sure what she’s doing to do. We have so little time left. I want her to get a part-time job, just so that she has some kind of experience out of school. But other than that, we’re going to head to Alaska on a family vacation, and try to make it to France with my brother and sister-in-law in August. The time flies by so fast!

Thanks Jani….don’t forget you can vote again today. I just did so!

France… Alaska for the summer? Umm, I went to New Hampshire camping as a kid…….. I guess times have changed! :-)

We went camping on the mountain, and down to Lake Powell. Alaska is my treat for the two of us. France is my brother’s treat for Bee, and his son and daughter-in-law as graduation presents. That’s what he does for his kids, and he felt that Bee needed it too.

Voted for a beautiful boy today. Three times. He’s got stiff competition in Lucca, though. But nobody else comes close. Mind you, though I think Lucca is amazing, Honza has her beat by a mile. And a wag of a tail in the snow, or two.

I hope to show Brady the world like you are Bee! :-)

Honestly if I wasn’t so attached to the lovable block headed Labrador Honza Bear, I would be supporting Lucca. She is a true hero…….. but I know Honza’a story and he epitomizes the word hero. I saw Honza yesterday, rubbed his nose…..he barked at me and then licked my finger!

Time to go vote!

I wanna pet Honza, too. And you got a kiss, and a hello from him? Lucky guy.

Just remember that your angel babies are only voyagers through your life. They come, they stay a while, and then they go, off to live their own lives. And you want them to. Your relationship with Meg is eternal. But your kids are only yours for a short, short while. Can you tell I’m really having a hard time letting go?

4. Ingalill Atala

Hi
    What an opportunity to contribute and help. I am not within 2 hours. I do know some in the area and only send this to one. Too many have not learned what this opportunity really means to ya’ll and might find themselves with a blurred line in the end & that defeats the purpose.

I see it as a gift of months and the greatest gift would be to give back the puppy who has grown, learned a thing or two about socialization & have him train, bond & make my Country proud. It is a difficult thing when you are an animal lover, but I met you and others that have taught me a lot.

I follow I long and wish I were near, In between I keep my eyes and ears open for someone with the maturity. For now I just send this to one. That is a start.

Ingalill

Thank you for sharing Ingalill, every little bit helps! I imagine those that participate in this program can feel the pride of their little pup for the duration of his/ her service…..to know you had a small influence on these hero dogs must be amazing!

No worries Carole, the program certainly isn’t for everyone- especially those that are allergic! :-)

5. Bernie Green

Great article and thanks for the support and publicity!
    We are now entering a phase where we have no puppies to foster out :-( Due to the upcoming furloughs, we’ve had to suspend breeding until late summer. We hope to have a litter ready to whelp as near to 1 October as possible (Mother Nature and some of our mamas willing)! They would be ready to go into foster homes near 1 Dec.
    Until then, we are still taking foster volunteer applications and putting names on the waiting list!
    Thanks again for your support and your promotion of our DoDMWDBP Facebook page!
    Bernie

Too bad about furlough Bernie, we are all being hit by it. Thank you for the update and I will be sure to look for updates on your Facebook page to share with everyone on this site.

6. Paul

Jim;

Great article! I love the insight you provide into the work these magnificent dogs do. Would you happen to know if any similar training programs are based around the St. Louis Metro area? I would enjoy working or volunteering as a facility to help out any way I could.

Keep sharing your stories!

Paul

Hi Paul, I know the military doesn’t have a program in that area, sorry! I’m not sure how the PD’s in the area source their dogs. Maybe you could start there? :-)

7. Andrea Kruchinski

For all the people out there who feel they couldn’t be a foster parent, please keep in mind that many of these puppies will not complete Dog Training School for various reasons. Many of these dogs will be put up for adoption. You don’t have to live in the San Antonio/Austin area to adopt. My husband and I adopted an 18 month old Malinois back in 2010. He did not complete Dog Training School, probably because he has ADD :). He has been a wonderful pet and has adapted well to home life and our Jack Russell!! He is such a loyal, lovable, and intelligent dog. I’m not going to lie…he wants to get into everything and smell everything, but that was what he was bred to do. He learns very quickly and picks up on commands easily. We love him so much, we are thinking about adopting another.

Hi Andrea, thanks for sharing this tip with everyone. So glad to hear you were able to find a home for one of these fabulous pups!

8. Jen

If I was in the area, I totally would. I think this is awesome, and have since I first heard of it! Of course, whether my fiancé thinks it’s awesome is another story….

9. Josie

I wish they a program like that close to Rhode Island although it will be very tough to say “good bye” to them..

Agreed Josie, but I think you would be OK knowing they were going to serve a higher cause!

10. Janet Spitzer

I live in Northern Calif. so can’t foster but what an honor, to be involved in the fostering of a possible MWD.

Lackland, AFB…brings back memories…basic training in August, a lot of years ago, it so much fun. :)

Thank you for what you are doing!

Check out Andrea’s comments below Janet…..there are also dogs available that don’t make the cut in the program.

11. Cristin Keimig

I live near Wichita, KS & would be so honored to help support this in some way. What can we do? My son is 100% committed to enlisting as a Marine in 2 years (unless he goes early enlist next Summer) & already works with training dogs locally. Surprisingly, even though he gets excited by the opportunity to work with dogs in the Marines, he is totally set right now on infantry & won’t hear of anything else!! I wish a chance like this could open his mind & heart to other options, especially since he’s so good with the dogs.

Hi Cristin. In order to have foster you need to be close. But that shouldn’t stop you from applying for adoption if that is something you are interesting in pursuing.

Great to hear about your son’s interest in military service! Just so he knows, Marine Infantry does currently have a dog program but it most likely will go away after the war. If he wants to pursue working with dogs then he needs to go military police.

12. Ann Goodreau

I would love to do this,I have 3 German Shepherds and one is my service dog.I have done a lot of training and know what it takes.Please contact me if i can help with any of the puppy’s.774-381-5047 Thank you

Hi Ann. Thanks for your interest in the program. I recommend you call the DoD Dog School at Lackland to inquire about participation.